Werk Wednesday

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The beginning of a Healthy Me

   In February 2011 a few things happened to me that I am thankful for everyday. As I was scrolling through my Facebook news feed I came across a recently uploaded photo from the previous night. I couldn't believe what I saw in that particular picture. It was me, but a bloated, teary eyed, and unhealthy me. Sure, I was smiling.. sure, I had great and fun friends around me.. but it just wasn't "Mindy". I was embarrassed and immediately clicked "Untag", as I'm sure all of us social media freaks know about that option all too well.


It is so corny to say "a picture is worth a thousand words", but that saying means just that and so much more to me. At that moment is when I realized I needed to make some changes.


My health was never an issue for me growing up. I lived off of the typical "Southern" type meals, ate what I wanted to and had no concerns as to what I was putting into my body. I also cheered and danced my way up until college. My active lifestyle along with my killer metabolism balanced out my diet of macaroni and cheese and steak.


My senior year of high school, in particular, I was in the gym nearly 5 days a week. I loved taking fitness classes, learning new strength training workouts, and progressing each week on the treadmill. I can even remember one day when school was released and as I was getting into my car, one friend asked what I would be doing after school and another friend replied, "You know Mindy will be at the gym." And she was right.


Entering into college, I worked out here and there but basically went through the motions. I had the time of my life my freshman year, neglecting the gym and loving french fries, but I also learned so much about myself, my true relationship with others, and most importantly, my passion for health.


The spring of my first year of college changed my life. It changed my perspective on healthy eating and living. Heck, I even changed my major from Nursing to Nutrition!


I searched high and low for anything and everything I could do to look and feel better. I wanted to know how bodies processed certain things, what foods to eat, and pretty much WHERE TO START?! I was clueless. I had a want to search more, learn more, and live more. I knew, of course, going to the gym more than once a week would help a young, once active girl like me but still, I wanted more. I read everything from magazines, healthy living books and cookbooks, fitness model Facebook pages and so much more. Nothing satisfied me, as it was the same people, doing the same moves, saying the same things. Then, in the midst of my searches I came across a healthy living blog, and it finally clicked! The blogworld offers so much variety for any topic or discussion. It is inspiring, informative, controversial, and not to mention time-consuming (in the best way possible :).


In Clueless Nutrition, I will journey through stressful hours of classes, share a few recipes with a side of screw-ups in the kitchen and offer fitness tips. Hopefully I will encourage others as I once was by other bloggers. Everyone needs to be dug up and found every once in a while. ;-)


I want to finish where the first few blogs I read started. This is an outlet for inspiration, individualism, and a like-minded passion.


Welcome!

1 comment:

  1. Mindy - what an awesome blog! I think I will definitely start following your blog and trying a lot of your tips (if you promise I will look like you) in the end! Holly P.

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! I'd like to recieve feedback on how you like each posts and what you would like to see on Clueless Nutrition! If you have ANYthing to say, feel free :)